[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 685: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 685: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5149: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:4121)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5151: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:4121)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5152: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:4121)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5153: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:4121)
www.below-the-fold.com • View topic - Spies

Spies

Foreign Policy, International Politics, etc

Spies

Postby GT » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:37 am

Spies being illegal around the world, yet it being common knowledge that we have them, is utterly ridiculous. Discuss!
GT

Print view this post

Re: Spies

Postby the roser » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:52 am

I really don't see it as ridiculous. Every Nation need intelligence, every nation needs to protect it's own intelligence. If you mean ridiculous in that as a civilization we still resort to blowing things up to settle our disputes then, yeah, I agree with that one.
the roser

Print view this post

Postby GT » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:49 am

Ridiculous meaning, it's accepted knowledge that every nation needs it for protection while at the same time outlawing it. And we basically, as a world of Nations say hey! I have spies, you just haven't caught them yet but aside from that, let's be buddies publicly!
GT

Print view this post

Postby the roser » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:53 am

I guess I don't know what you are proposing as an alternative. No state secrets? I mean again, the premise is ridiculous in that we are "buddies" publicly while always holding on to the threat of war if things don't go our way.
the roser

Print view this post

Postby GT » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:01 pm

There doesn't need to be a viable alternative to consider something ridiculous. I think it's stupid but I do consider it necessary, I guess.

I consider threat of war to be a bit different, though, because a threat of war is an if/then. (if you do this, we'll do that); whereas spying is actively being done, always, regardless........and meanwhile we smile in their face. I don't know, I guess it's necessary but I consider it pretty childish if you ask me.
GT

Print view this post

Postby the roser » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:49 pm

What I am saying is that as long as there are wars, there will be state secrets, since those tend to be military in nature. So if you have secrets, you need laws to protect them. And if you are to maintain a military advantage, you need to gather intelligence from competing nations. Which necessarily means breaking the laws that nation has set up to protect it's secrets.
the roser

Print view this post

Postby GT » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:52 pm

That's all obvious. It's still sto0opit
GT

Print view this post

Postby the roser » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:47 pm

What's the less stupid method of maintaining state secrets while gathering intelligence?
the roser

Print view this post

Postby GT » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:15 pm

GT

Print view this post

Postby Sallow » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:09 am

It's really just that simple.
Sallow

Print view this post

Next